Friday, January 8, 2016

A Luxury Mountain Retreat!


 This holiday season was jammed pack! GreatHouse was buzzing each day and some nights .....happy customers, workshops and lots of parties! I always try to participate in all the fun that the holidays bring and, after a late season couple of days taking in the sights in NYC with my Granddaughter, Roger and I needed to escape for a few days.

I literally dropped my bags from NYC one night, got up the next day and threw some things out of my closet and headed out with my honey for the Adirondacks.


We drove to The Point Resort at Upper Saranac Lake. This private Adirondack estate set on the shoreline of a beautiful mountain lake combines the natural world of the outdoors with rustic luxury. The retreat was built by William Avery Rockefeller a century ago when his wife wanted a Great Camp in the North Woods just like many of her socialite friends from the city. An extreme example of "happy wife, happy life" I guess.




The Main Lodge was such a beautiful example of natural stone and timber indicative of the old Great Camp "cottages". Those moose antlers!




The entry was octagonal with a rustic reeded center table decorated with birch poles and Nordic trees. Hanging on each wall were deer mounts that were wearing red plaid bow ties for the holidays.




Inside the main room was a spectacular Christmas tree. I LOVED it as it wasn't perfectly full and triangular as most of the sheared trees we see at nurseries.



Decorated with a large antique canoe, antique snowshoes, HUGE pine ones and a big owl.



Reminding me of GreatHouse, the ceiling had a beautiful canoe.



Two times a week dining is black tie and each night dining is served white glove with full silver service. It was nice for a change and got us ready for the Downton Abbey premiere



  I so enjoyed Leonardo and Shawn's company at dinner. They were married at the resort in July. Leonardo, in the black sequin jacket, is the President of Maybelline and Shawn, in black velvet, owns a travel company. They were so much fun as well as handsome and we found ourselves not only enjoying the formal gourmet meals but not so formally with a lot of laughter.

I would like to add that 2 ladies wore gowns with trains before I tell you this....when we travel I lay out all my things at home and Rog chooses the bags, etc and packs it all. He's good at spacial relationships and he cares that each space is used...whatever. Well on New Years Eve when we were getting dressed and he was wrestling with his studs on his shirt I couldn't find my black tie dress.....HE FORGOT TO PACK IT!! !! Want to know what I wore?? A $30.00 skirt my sister had given me from Marshalls!!! A professional would have a picture to finish this story but I am the only one who takes pictures in this duo. I have to say it was a really nice gold with blackish pencil skirt and with the black short sweater and some nice jewelry I didn't look bad at all...PLUS the place was very very dark. This is not the first time he has done this. When we went the the Grand Canyon this summer I had no underwear!! That was fun making that discovery next to a river a million miles from civilization!  Looks like there will be a change of operations next trip.



The meals with the perfect wine pairings made me forget. Our first course was oysters.



After pheasant, venison and homemade agnolotti, dessert was this passion fruit cremeux with mango sorbet and roasted coconut.




A beautiful cheese platter was all we could eat for lunch.



Our cabin had a big fireplace and each time we left the room I think someone popped in to stoke the fire because it was always burning and a welcome when we came from the snowy outdoors. We also had our own Christmas tree.






Sometimes homeowners resist the typical design and accessory elements but I love when a mountain home has rustic pieces. The resort had lots of antlers, birch, reeded furniture and natural wood accessories like this ice bucket.




Beautiful bathroom...love the tissue holder.






This period painting hung over our bathtub and I swooned over the frame each night.



We played darts and pool in the pub room and admired the birch and antler covered pool table.



Hand painted lake scenes were commissioned for the table.



All activities are included as well as the equipment, including hiking boots!



We hiked each day because there wasn't enough snow for skiing and we were told there was a cabin up the woods the staff would have ready for us.






Siding was completely covered in bark.



When we got there the fire was going and delicious breakfast was waiting with fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee with bottles of Kahlua and Bailey's!  Look at the huge stone over the fireplace opening.



Baked eggs with spinach!



This is the hearth of the fireplace. I wanted you to see the detail of how they cut the wide plank flooring with the uneven stone. Antique oriental carpets were everywhere.



We came upon this timber lean to which had a killer lake view.



Pillows and an oriental rug covered the thick mattress.



WHERE'S WALDO?? In the main lodge there were 2 wool buffalo check sofas and a dark mohair sofa covered with a fur throw.....beautiful!  Do you see me lying down next to Rog in my shirt dress with my head covered in this pic .....NOT!! Actually I think I'm the only person in the US who doesn't have this shirt...I should get one.

Such a beautiful place, and a restful way to recharge gearing up for all the action at GreatHouse. I, of course, worked in some nice antique store visits on our way back and we have started the new year with new deliveries and a big upholstery delivery due any day. I hope you enjoyed your holidays and made wonderful new memories. We, at GreatHouse, hope 2016 is the year of peace for you and for all.



Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to stay in touch about the latest happenings at GreatHouse and to be in the know about our super special flash sales you will not want to miss!
Talk to you soon,
 Bonny

 
Please note delivery and shipping is available on all items
EMAIL ME with any questions.


   
GreatHouse Bonny Neiman   
p.973-714-4541
12 Beechwood Avenue | Summit, NJ
Monday-Saturday 10:30-5:30

No comments:

Post a Comment